National plans/strategies for Greece
- Sixth National Communication of Greece to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) (2014). Download.
Reports/papers that focus on important Greek topics
- Agriculture, forest fires: Giannakopoulos et al. (2009). Climatic changes and associated impacts in the Mediterranean resulting from a 2°C global warming. Download.
- Coastal flood risk: Raucoules et al. (2008). Ground deformation detection of the greater area of Thessaloniki (Northern Greece) using radar interferometry techniques. Download.
- Fresh water resources: Collins (2009). Water scarcity and drought in the Mediterranean. Download.
Reports/papers that present a sound overview for Europe
- Eisenreich (2005). Climate change and the European water dimension. A report to the European water directors.
- European Environment Agency (2005). Vulnerability and adaptation to climate change in Europe. Download.
- European Environment Agency, JRC and WHO (2008). Impact of Europe’s changing climate – 2008 indicator-based assessment. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on specific topics, relevant for all of Europe
- Agriculture: Rounsevell et al. (2005). Future scenarios of European agricultural land use II. Projecting changes in cropland and grassland. Download.
- Agriculture: Fischer et al. (2005). Socio-economic and climate change impacts on agriculture: an integrated assessment, 1990–2080. Download.
- Biodiversity: Thuiller et al. (2005). Climate change threats to plant diversity in Europe. Download.
- Coastal erosion: Salman et al. (2004). Living with coastal erosion in Europe: sediment and space for sustainability. Download.
- Droughts: Blenkinsop and Fowler (2007). Changes in European drought characteristics projected by the PRUDENCE regional climate models. Download.
- Droughts: European Environment Agency (2009). Water resources across Europe – confronting water scarcity and drought. Download.
- Forestry: Seppälä et al. (2009). Adaptation of forests and people to climate change. A global assessment report. Download.
- Health: Kosatsky (2005). The 2003 European heat waves. Download.
- Health: WHO (2008). Protecting health in Europe from climate change. Download.
- Insurance and Business: Mills et al. (2005). Availability and affordability of insurance under climate change. A growing challenge for the U.S. Download.
- Security and Crisis management: German Advisory Council on Global Change (2007). World in transition: Climate change as a security risk. Summary for policy-makers. Download.
- Storms: Gardiner et al. (2010). Destructive storms in European forests: Past and forthcoming impacts. Download.
- Storms: Pinto et al. (2007). Changing European storm loss potentials under modified climate conditions according to ensemble simulations of the ECHAM5/MPI-OM1 GCM. Download.
- Tourism: Deutsche Bank Research (2008). Climate change and tourism: Where will the journey lead? Download.
National adaptation strategies
Database on disasters worldwide
- The international disaster database EM-DAT
- Information on disaster risk reduction: preventionweb.net
- Global Risk Data Platform PREVIEW: preview.grid.unep.ch
- Dartmouth Flood Observatory
Weblogs in English
- United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
- The Red Cross / Red Crescent Climate Centre: bridging climate change and disaster risk reduction
- Internet encyclopaedia for coastal professionals providing coastal and marine information: coastal wiki
- The website of the European Environment Agency
- Expertise centre for biodiversity and sustainable development
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change IPCC
- The United Nation's work on climate change
- Drought Management Centre for Southeastern Europe
- World Bank Climate Change Knowledge Portal
- PIANC organisation for the global waterborne transport community: climate change home page
Weblogs in English and Greek
Weblogs in Greek
EU funded Research Projects
- EU.WATER (INTERREG): Transnational integrated management of water resources in agriculture for the EUropean WATER emergency control
Climate change scenarios
Climate change impacts and vulnerabilities
CLIMSAVE (7th FP): Web-based tool to assess climate change impacts and vulnerabilities for a range of sectors, including agriculture, forests, biodiversity, coasts, water resources and urban development
- COASTANCE: Regional action strategies for coastal zone adaptation to climate change
- THESEUS (7th FP): Innovative coastal technologies for safer European coasts in a changing climate
- SAVEMEDCOASTS: aimed at prevention from natural disasters in Mediterranean coastal areas undergoing increasing sea level rise and climate change impacts
- Climate for culture (7th FP): Damage risk assessment, economic impact and mitigation strategies for sustainable preservation of cultural heritage in times of climate change
- HERACLES (H2020): Heritage resilience against climate effects on site
- STORM (H2020): Safeguarding cultural heritage through technical and organisational resources management
Droughts and water scarcity
- MIRAGE (7th FP): Mediterranean intermittent river management
- CLIMB (7th FP): Climate induced changes on the hydrology of mediterranean basins
- Flow-Aid (6th FP): Farm level optimal water management: assistant for irrigation under deficit
- CC-WaterS (INTERREG): Climate change and impacts on water supply
- DMCSEE (INTERREG): Drought Management Centre for South East Europe
- DROUGHT-R&SPI: improving the interface between science and policy in the drought sector, improving knowledge on drought drivers and vulnerability assessments and directly contributing to the development of drought management plans in Europe
- FUME (7th FP): Forest fires under climate, social and economic changes in Europe, the Mediterranean and other fire-affected areas of the world
Fresh water resources
- REFRESH (7th FP): Adaptive strategies to mitigate the impacts of climate change on European freshwater ecosystems
- WATCH (2007-2011, 6th FP): Water and global change
- HEAT-SHIELD (Horizon 2020): Adresses the negative impact of increased workplace heat stress on the health and productivity of 5 strategic European industries: manufacturing, construction, transportation, tourism and agriculture
- WEATHER (7th FP): The impacts of extreme weather events on economy and society in total and on European transport systems in particular
Mitigation / adaptation options and costs
- ClimateCost (7th FP): the full costs of climate change
- ClimateWater (7th FP): study European and international adaptation measures and strategies related to climate change impacts and how these are taken into account in water policies
- PESETA (2007, JRC): Projection of economic impacts of climate change in sectors of the European Union based on bottom-up analysis
- F:ACTS ! (INTERREG): Adapting to climate change through territorial strategies
Security and Crisis management
Transport, Infrastructure and Building
- RAIN (7th FP): Risk Analysis of Infrastructure Networks in response to extreme weather
- EWENT (7th FP): Assessment of the impacts and consequences of extreme weather events on EU transport system
- ECCONET (7th FP): Assessment of the effect of climate change on the transport network, taking the inland waterway network as a case-study.
- WEATHER (7th FP): Analyses of the economic costs of climate change on transport systems in Europe and exploration of ways for reducing them in the context of sustainable policy design.
- ToPDad (7th FP): Developing tools to help Europe adapt to and avoid the costly consequences of climate change.