National plans/strategies for The Netherlands
- Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency (PBL) (2015). Climate change. Summary of the fifth IPCC-assessment and a translation to the Netherlands (text in Dutch: Klimaatverandering. Samenvatting van het vijfde IPCC-assessment en een vertaling naar Nederland). Download.
- Sixth Netherlands’ National Communication under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) (2014). Download.
- Delta Committee (2008). Working together with water. Findings of the Delta Committee. Download.
- Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency (PBL) (2010). The Netherlands in the Future. Second Sustainability Outlook. The physical living environment in The Netherlands. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on important Dutch topics
- Agriculture and Biodiversity: Nillesen and Van Ierland (2006). Climate change scientific assessment and policy analysis. Climate adaptation in the Netherlands. Download.
- Flood risk: RIVM (2004). Dutch dikes, and risk hikes. A thematic policy evaluation of risks of flooding in the Netherlands. Download.
- Climate proof development of urban areas (text in Dutch). Download.
Reports/papers that present a sound overview for Europe
- Quante, M. and F. Colijn (eds), 2016. North Sea Region climate change assessment NOSCCA. Regional Climate Studies, Springer Nature, 555 pp. Download.
- Eisenreich (2005). Climate change and the European water dimension. A report to the European water directors.
- European Environment Agency (2005). Vulnerability and adaptation to climate change in Europe. Download.
- European Environment Agency, JRC and WHO (2008). Impact of Europe’s changing climate – 2008 indicator-based assessment. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on specific topics, relevant for all of Europe
- Agriculture: Rounsevell et al. (2005). Future scenarios of European agricultural land use II. Projecting changes in cropland and grassland. Download.
- Agriculture: Fischer et al. (2005). Socio-economic and climate change impacts on agriculture: an integrated assessment, 1990–2080. Download.
- Biodiversity: Thuiller et al. (2005). Climate change threats to plant diversity in Europe. Download.
- Coastal erosion: Salman et al. (2004). Living with coastal erosion in Europe: sediment and space for sustainability. Download.
- Droughts: Blenkinsop and Fowler (2007). Changes in European drought characteristics projected by the PRUDENCE regional climate models. Download.
- Droughts: European Environment Agency (2009). Water resources across Europe – confronting water scarcity and drought. Download.
- Forestry: Seppälä et al. (2009). Adaptation of forests and people to climate change. A global assessment report. Download.
- Health: Kosatsky (2005). The 2003 European heat waves. Download.
- Health: WHO (2008). Protecting health in Europe from climate change. Download.
- Insurance and Business: Mills et al. (2005). Availability and affordability of insurance under climate change. A growing challenge for the U.S. Download.
- Security and Crisis management: German Advisory Council on Global Change (2007). World in transition: Climate change as a security risk. Summary for policy-makers. Download.
- Storms: Gardiner et al. (2010). Destructive storms in European forests: Past and forthcoming impacts. Download.
- Storms: Pinto et al. (2007). Changing European storm loss potentials under modified climate conditions according to ensemble simulations of the ECHAM5/MPI-OM1 GCM. Download.
- Tourism: Deutsche Bank Research (2008). Climate change and tourism: Where will the journey lead? Download.
Database on disasters worldwide
- The international disaster database EM-DAT
- Information on disaster risk reduction: preventionweb.net
- Global Risk Data Platform PREVIEW: preview.grid.unep.ch
- Dartmouth Flood Observatory
- European Severe Weather Database (ESWD)
Weblogs in English
- The Red Cross / Red Crescent Climate Centre: bridging climate change and disaster risk reduction
- Internet encyclopaedia for coastal professionals providing coastal and marine information: coastal wiki
- The website of the European Environment Agency
- Expertise centre for biodiversity and sustainable development
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change IPCC
- The United Nation's work on climate change
- World Bank Climate Change Knowledge Portal
- Knowlede-driven network organization to improve the resilience of the world's delta: www.delta-alliance.org
- PIANC organisation for the global waterborne transport community: climate change home page
- Solutions for climate adaptation: the new climateapp.nl
Weblogs in English and Dutch
- On coping with floods in urban areas: www.floodresiliencity.eu
- Meteoalarm: alerting Europe for extreme weather
- International research on climate proof areas in the North Sea Region: www.climateproofareas.com
- The Sigma Plan - Measures on flood protection, nature and shipping along the Scheldt estuary: www.sigmaplan.be
- Building with Nature - using natural processes in civil engineering: www.ecoshape.nl
- Two major climate research programmes in the Netherlands: Climate Changes Spatial Planning and Knowledge for Climate
- Spatial Adaptation Knowledge Portal
- Climate Adaptation Services in the Netherlands
Weblogs in Dutch
- Dutch magazine on climate change: www.changemagazine.nl
- Dutch research programme Climate for Space about land use and climate adaptation: www.klimaatvoorruimte.nl
- Dutch innovations in civil engineering, flood protection, water distribution, sustainability and blue energy
- Maps showing risks (including flood risks) in the Netherlands: www.risicokaart.nl
- How to prepare for emergencies: instructions from the Dutch government: www.nederlandveilig.nl
- Results from research on climate change in the Netherlands: www.klimaatonderzoeknederland.nl
- Map of The Netherlands showing the current wild fire risk (www.natuurbrandrisico.nl)
- App that shows you how high the water may rise during a flood at a certain location in The Netherlands (www.overstroomik.nl)
- Summary on the contribution of different sectors and countries to climate change (www.energieportaal.nl)
EU funded Research Projects
- ANIMALCHANGE (7th FP): An integration of mitigation and adaptation options for sustainable livestock production under climate change
- CLAMER (7th FP): Awareness raising of European citizens and society to the effects of climate change on the marine environment and its socio-economic consequences
Climate change scenarios
- IMPRESSIONS (7th FP): Impacts and risks from high-end scenarios, strategies for innovative solutions
- STARDEX (5th FP): Statistical and regional dynamical downscaling of extremes for european regions
Climate change impacts and vulnerabilities
- MEDIATION (7th FP): Methodology for effective decision-making on impacts and adaptation
- RESPONSES (7th FP): EU policy action on climate change
- CLIMSAVE (7th FP): Web-based tool to assess climate change impacts and vulnerabilities for a range of sectors, including agriculture, forests, biodiversity, coasts, water resources and urban development
- EUCLEIA (7th FP): Assessments of the extent to which weather-related risks have changed due to human influences on climate
- Flood Aware (INTERREG): raising flood risk awareness with citizens and businesses and making them more resilient
- THESEUS (7th FP): Innovative coastal technologies for safer European coasts in a changing climate
- CLIWAT (INTERREG): Adaptive and Sustainable Water Management and Protection of Society and Nature in an Extreme Climate
- BLAST (INTERREG): Bringing land and sea together
- DiPol (INTERREG): Impact of climate change on the quality of urban and coastal waters
- SUSCOD (INTERREG): Sustainable coastal development in practice
- TIDE (INTERREG): Tidal river development (estuaries)
- Climate for culture (7th FP): Damage risk assessment, economic impact and mitigation strategies for sustainable preservation of cultural heritage in times of climate change
Droughts and water scarcity
- DROP (INTERREG IVB): Benefits of governance in drought adaptation - preparedness and resilience of Northwest European Regions
- DROUGHT-R&SPI: improving the interface between science and policy in the drought sector, improving knowledge on drought drivers and vulnerability assessments and directly contributing to the development of drought management plans in Europe
- FloodProBE (7th FP): Technologies for the cost-effective flood protection of the built environment
- FLOODsite (6th FP): Integrated flood risk analysis and management methodologies
- ALFA (INTERREG): Adaptive land use for flood alleviation
- FLOOD-WISE (INTERREG): Sustainable flood management strategies for cross border river basins
- STAR-FLOOD (7th FP): STrengthening And Rede-signing European FLOOD risk practices: Towards appropriate and resilient flood risk governance arrangements
Fresh water resources
- REFRESH (7th FP): Adaptive strategies to mitigate the impacts of climate change on European freshwater ecosystems
- WATCH (2007-2011, 6th FP): Water and global change
- AMICE (INTERREG): A coordinated strategy for the adaptation of the Meuse to the impacts of climate evolutions on floods and low-flows with the perspective of sustainable development in the Meuse international catchment basin
- ScaldWIN (INTERREG): Scheldt transnational water management aimed at improving and integrating innovative measures for groundwater, sediments and surface water in the international Scheldt River basin district
- SAWA (INTERREG): Strategic alliance for integrated water management actions (incl. climate change)
- ECCONET (7th FP): Effects of climate change on the inland waterway and other transport networks
- WEATHER (7th FP): The impacts of extreme weather events on economy and society in total and on European transport systems in particular
Insurance and Business
Mitigation / adaptation integrated policy
- AMICA: Adaptation and Mitigation: an Integrated Climate Policy Approach at the local and regional level (INTERREG)
Mitigation / adaptation options and costs
- ClimateWater (7th FP): study European and international adaptation measures and strategies related to climate change impacts and how these are taken into account in water policies
- PESETA (2007, JRC): Projection of economic impacts of climate change in sectors of the European Union based on bottom-up analysis
- CPA: Climate Proof Areas (INTERREG): regional adaptation strategies
Security and Crisis management
- Enhance (7th FP): Enhancing risk management partnerships for catastrophic natural disasters in Europe
Transport, Infrastructure and Building
- RAIN (7th FP): Risk Analysis of Infrastructure Networks in response to extreme weather
- EWENT (7th FP): Assessment of the impacts and consequences of extreme weather events on EU transport system
- ECCONET (7th FP): Assessment of the effect of climate change on the transport network, taking the inland waterway network as a case-study.
- WEATHER (7th FP): Analyses of the economic costs of climate change on transport systems in Europe and exploration of ways for reducing them in the context of sustainable policy design.
- ToPDad (7th FP): Developing tools to help Europe adapt to and avoid the costly consequences of climate change.
- PREPARED (7th FP): Early warning systems, short- and long-term response strategies for urban areas pertaining to climate change adaptation
- FloodResilienCity (INTERREG): Improved integration of increased urban development and flood risks in major cities
- Future Cities (INTERREG): Urban Networks to Face Climate Change
- MiSRaR (INTERREG): Mitigating Spatial Relevant Risks in European Regions and Towns
- SICadapt (INTERREG): Adaptation to the spatial impacts of climate change
- UrbanFlood (7th FP): Sensors within flood embankments to support an online early warning system, real time emergency management and routine asset management
- Raingain (INTERREG): Aimed at improving the prediction of pluvial floods in cities