National plans/strategies for France
- The Sixth National Communication of France to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) (2014). Download.
- Stratégie nationale d’adaptation au changement climatique (National adaptation strategy to climate change). Download.
Reports/papers that focus on important French topics
- Avalanches and Landslides: Gruber et al. (2004). Permafrost thaw and destabilization of Alpine rock walls in the hot summer of 2003. Download.
- Climate Change: observations, projections and impacts. Downloads.
- Health: Pascal et al. (2006). France’s heat health watch warning system. Download.
- Tourism: Agrawala (2007). Climate Change in the European Alps. Adapting winter tourism and natural hazards management.
Reports/papers that present a sound overview for Europe
- Eisenreich (2005). Climate change and the European water dimension. A report to the European water directors.
- European Environment Agency (2005). Vulnerability and adaptation to climate change in Europe. Download.
- European Environment Agency, JRC and WHO (2008). Impact of Europe’s changing climate – 2008 indicator-based assessment. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on specific topics, relevant for all of Europe
- Agriculture: Rounsevell et al. (2005). Future scenarios of European agricultural land use II. Projecting changes in cropland and grassland. Download.
- Agriculture: Fischer et al. (2005). Socio-economic and climate change impacts on agriculture: an integrated assessment, 1990–2080. Download.
- Biodiversity: Thuiller et al. (2005). Climate change threats to plant diversity in Europe. Download.
- Coastal erosion: Salman et al. (2004). Living with coastal erosion in Europe: sediment and space for sustainability. Download.
- Droughts: Blenkinsop and Fowler (2007). Changes in European drought characteristics projected by the PRUDENCE regional climate models. Download.
- Droughts: European Environment Agency (2009). Water resources across Europe – confronting water scarcity and drought. Download.
- Forestry: Seppälä et al. (2009). Adaptation of forests and people to climate change. A global assessment report. Download.
- Health: Kosatsky (2005). The 2003 European heat waves. Download.
- Health: WHO (2008). Protecting health in Europe from climate change. Download.
- Insurance and Business: Mills et al. (2005). Availability and affordability of insurance under climate change. A growing challenge for the U.S. Download.
- Security and Crisis management: German Advisory Council on Global Change (2007). World in transition: Climate change as a security risk. Summary for policy-makers. Download.
- Storms: Gardiner et al. (2010). Destructive storms in European forests: Past and forthcoming impacts. Download.
- Storms: Pinto et al. (2007). Changing European storm loss potentials under modified climate conditions according to ensemble simulations of the ECHAM5/MPI-OM1 GCM. Download.
- Tourism: Deutsche Bank Research (2008). Climate change and tourism: Where will the journey lead? Download.
National adaptation strategies
Database on disasters worldwide
- The international disaster database EM-DAT
- Information on disaster risk reduction: preventionweb.net
- Global Risk Data Platform PREVIEW: preview.grid.unep.ch
- Dartmouth Flood Observatory
Weblogs in English
- Glacier changes in Central Europe: facts and figures
- The Red Cross / Red Crescent Climate Centre: bridging climate change and disaster risk reduction
- Internet encyclopaedia for coastal professionals providing coastal and marine information: coastal wiki
- The website of the European Environment Agency
- Expertise centre for biodiversity and sustainable development
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change IPCC
- The United Nation's work on climate change
- Climate change and its impact on tourism in the Alpine Space: ClimAlpTour
- World Bank Climate Change Knowledge Portal
- PIANC organisation for the global waterborne transport community: climate change home page
Weblogs in English and French
Weblogs in French
EU funded Research Projects
- ANIMALCHANGE (7th FP): An integration of mitigation and adaptation options for sustainable livestock production under climate change
Avalanches and landslides
- CLAMER (7th FP): Awareness raising of European citizens and society to the effects of climate change on the marine environment and its socio-economic consequences
- CCTAME (7th FP): Terrestrial adaptation & mitigation in Europe
Climate change scenarios
- IMPRESSIONS (7th FP): Impacts and risks from high-end scenarios, strategies for innovative solutions
- MONARCH-A: Monitoring and assessing regional climate change in high latitudes and the Arctic
- STARDEX (5th FP): Statistical and regional dynamical downscaling of extremes for european regions
Climate change impacts and vulnerabilities
- COASTANCE: Regional action strategies for coastal zone adaptation to climate change
- THESEUS (7th FP): Innovative coastal technologies for safer European coasts in a changing climate
- IMCORE (INTERREG): Innovative management for Europe’s changing coastal resource
- INSeaPTION (European Research Area for Climate Services ERA4CS): co-designs and co-develops, together with users, coastal climate services based on state-of-the art sea-level rise, impact, adaptation and transdisciplinary science
- Climate for culture (7th FP): Damage risk assessment, economic impact and mitigation strategies for sustainable preservation of cultural heritage in times of climate change
Droughts and water scarcity
- MIRAGE (7th FP): Mediterranean intermittent river management
- CLIMB (7th FP): Climate induced changes on the hydrology of mediterranean basins
- DROP (INTERREG IVB): Benefits of governance in drought adaptation - preparedness and resilience of Northwest European Regions
- DROUGHT-R&SPI: improving the interface between science and policy in the drought sector, improving knowledge on drought drivers and vulnerability assessments and directly contributing to the development of drought management plans in Europe
- FloodProBE (7th FP): Technologies for the cost-effective flood protection of the built environment
- FLOODsite (6th FP): Integrated flood risk analysis and management methodologies
- ALFA (INTERREG): Adaptive land use for flood alleviation
- STAR-FLOOD (7th FP): STrengthening And Rede-signing European FLOOD risk practices: Towards appropriate and resilient flood risk governance arrangements
- FUME (7th FP): Forest fires under climate, social and economic changes in Europe, the Mediterranean and other fire-affected areas of the world
Fresh water resources
- ACQWA (7th FP): Assessing climate impacts on the quantity and quality of water
- REFRESH (7th FP): Adaptive strategies to mitigate the impacts of climate change on European freshwater ecosystems
- WATCH (2007-2011, 6th FP): Water and global change
- AMICE (INTERREG): A coordinated strategy for the adaptation of the Meuse to the impacts of climate evolutions on floods and low-flows with the perspective of sustainable development in the Meuse international catchment basin
- ScaldWIN (INTERREG): Scheldt transnational water management aimed at improving and integrating innovative measures for groundwater, sediments and surface water in the international Scheldt River basin district
- WEATHER (7th FP): The impacts of extreme weather events on economy and society in total and on European transport systems in particular
Insurance and Business
Mitigation / adaptation integrated policy
- AMICA: Adaptation and Mitigation: an Integrated Climate Policy Approach at the local and regional level (INTERREG)
Mitigation / adaptation options and costs
- ClimateCost (7th FP): the full costs of climate change
- ClimateWater (7th FP): study European and international adaptation measures and strategies related to climate change impacts and how these are taken into account in water policies
- PESETA (2007, JRC): Projection of economic impacts of climate change in sectors of the European Union based on bottom-up analysis
- CECILIA (6th FP): Central and Eastern Europe climate change impact and vulnerability assessment
Security and Crisis management
Transport, Infrastructure and Building
- EWENT (7th FP): Assessment of the impacts and consequences of extreme weather events on EU transport system
- ECCONET (7th FP): Assessment of the effect of climate change on the transport network, taking the inland waterway network as a case-study.
- WEATHER (7th FP): Analyses of the economic costs of climate change on transport systems in Europe and exploration of ways for reducing them in the context of sustainable policy design.
- ToPDad (7th FP): Developing tools to help Europe adapt to and avoid the costly consequences of climate change.
- PREPARED (7th FP): Early warning systems, short- and long-term response strategies for urban areas pertaining to climate change adaptation
- SWITCH (6th FP): sustainable urban water management in the ‘City of the Future’
- FloodResilienCity (INTERREG): Improved integration of increased urban development and flood risks in major cities
- Future Cities (INTERREG): Urban Networks to Face Climate Change
- SICadapt (INTERREG): Adaptation to the spatial impacts of climate change
- Raingain (INTERREG): Aimed at improving the prediction of pluvial floods in cities