National plans/strategies for the United Kingdom
- The UK’s Sixth National Communication under the United Nations Framework Convention On Climate Change (UNFCCC) (2014). Download.
- West and Gawith (2005). Measuring Progress. Preparing for climate change through the UK Climate Impacts Programme. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on important UK topics
- Climate Change: observations, projections and impacts. Downloads.
- Coastal flood risk: Tsimplis et al. (2005). Towards a vulnerability assessment of the UK and northern European coasts: the role of regional climate variability. Download.
- Cultural-historical heritage: Cassar (2005). Climate change and the historic environment. Download.
- Flood risk in the Thames Estuary: Lavery and Donovan (2005). Flood risk management in the Thames Estuary looking ahead 100 years. Download.
- Flood risk in the Thames Estuary: Eldridge and Horn (2009). A case study of the Thames Gateway: Flood risk, planning policy and insurance loss potential. Download.
- Insurance and flood risk (coastal, river, and flash floods): Crichton (2005). Flood risk & insurance in England & Wales: are there lessons to be learned from Scotland? Download.
- River flood risk: Pitt Review Team (2008). Learning lessons from the 2007 floods. Download.
- Storms: Alexander et al. (2005). Recent observed changes in severe storms over the United Kingdom and Iceland. Download.
Reports/papers that present a sound overview for Europe
- Quante, M. and F. Colijn (eds), 2016. North Sea Region climate change assessment NOSCCA. Regional Climate Studies, Springer Nature, 555 pp. Download.
- Eisenreich (2005). Climate change and the European water dimension. A report to the European water directors.
- European Environment Agency (2005). Vulnerability and adaptation to climate change in Europe. Download.
- European Environment Agency, JRC and WHO (2008). Impact of Europe’s changing climate – 2008 indicator-based assessment. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on specific topic, relevant for all of Europe
- Agriculture: Rounsevell et al. (2005). Future scenarios of European agricultural land use II. Projecting changes in cropland and grassland. Download.
- Agriculture: Fischer et al. (2005). Socio-economic and climate change impacts on agriculture: an integrated assessment, 1990–2080. Download.
- Biodiversity: Thuiller et al. (2005). Climate change threats to plant diversity in Europe. Download.
- Coastal erosion: Salman et al. (2004). Living with coastal erosion in Europe: sediment and space for sustainability. Download.
- Droughts: Blenkinsop and Fowler (2007). Changes in European drought characteristics projected by the PRUDENCE regional climate models. Download.
- Droughts: European Environment Agency (2009). Water resources across Europe – confronting water scarcity and drought. Download.
- Forestry: Seppälä et al. (2009). Adaptation of forests and people to climate change. A global assessment report. Download.
- Health: Kosatsky (2005). The 2003 European heat waves. Download.
- Health: WHO (2008). Protecting health in Europe from climate change. Download.
- Insurance and Business: Mills et al. (2005). Availability and affordability of insurance under climate change. A growing challenge for the U.S. Download.
- Security and Crisis management: German Advisory Council on Global Change (2007). World in transition: Climate change as a security risk. Summary for policy-makers. Download.
- Storms: Gardiner et al. (2010). Destructive storms in European forests: Past and forthcoming impacts. Download.
- Storms: Pinto et al. (2007). Changing European storm loss potentials under modified climate conditions according to ensemble simulations of the ECHAM5/MPI-OM1 GCM. Download.
- Tourism: Deutsche Bank Research (2008). Climate change and tourism: Where will the journey lead? Download.
National adaptation strategies
Database on disasters worldwide
- The international disaster database EM-DAT
- Information on disaster risk reduction: preventionweb.net
- Global Risk Data Platform PREVIEW: preview.grid.unep.ch
- Dartmouth Flood Observatory
Weblogs in English
- Guide 'How to minimise flood damage in your home'
- Agriculture in a changing climate: www.farmingfutures.org.uk
- Coping with floods in urban areas: www.floodresiliencity.eu
- Climate change projections: www.foresight.gov.uk
- Scotland's climate change adaptation gateway: www.adaptationscotland.org.uk
- Climate change adaptation strategy in the United Kingdom: www.defra.gov.uk/adaptation
- The United Kingdom Climate Impacts Programme: www.ukcip.org.uk
- The United Kingdom Marine Climate Change Impacts Partnership
- Meteoalarm: alerting Europe for extreme weather
- The Red Cross / Red Crescent Climate Centre: bridging climate change and disaster risk reduction
- Internet encyclopaedia for coastal professionals providing coastal and marine information: coastal wiki
- The website of the European Environment Agency
- Expertise centre for biodiversity and sustainable development
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change IPCC
- The United Nation's work on climate change
- International research on climate proof areas in the North Sea Region: www.climateproofareas.com
- LWEC (Living With Environmental Change) aimed at connecting the world-leading natural, engineering,
economic, social, medical, cultural, arts, and humanities researchers with policy-makers, business, the public, and other key stakeholders
- Catchment Change Network (CCN) brings together a broad range of scientists and practitioners to consider the assessment of future changes across catchment systems
- Waterwise: an independent nongovernmental organisation that promotes the reduction of water wastage in the UK
- Climate Northern Ireland
- World Bank Climate Change Knowledge Portal
- Climate Research Unit University of East Anglia
- Environmental Change Unit University of Oxford
- UK Meteorological Office
- PIANC organisation for the global waterborne transport community: climate change home page
- Scotland's centre of expertise connecting climate change research and policy: ClimateXChange
EU funded Research Projects
- ANIMALCHANGE (7th FP): An integration of mitigation and adaptation options for sustainable livestock production under climate change
- CLAMER (7th FP): Awareness raising of European citizens and society to the effects of climate change on the marine environment and its socio-economic consequences
- CCTAME (7th FP): Terrestrial adaptation & mitigation in Europe
Climate change scenarios
- IMPRESSIONS (7th FP): Impacts and risks from high-end scenarios, strategies for innovative solutions
- MONARCH-A (7th FP): Monitoring and assessing regional climate change in high latitudes and the Arctic
- STARDEX (5th FP): Statistical and regional dynamical downscaling of extremes for european regions
Climate change impacts and vulnerabilities
- MEDIATION (7th FP): Methodology for effective decision-making on impacts and adaptation
- RESPONSES (7th FP): EU policy action on climate change
- CLIMSAVE (7th FP): Web-based tool to assess climate change impacts and vulnerabilities for a range of sectors, including agriculture, forests, biodiversity, coasts, water resources and urban development
- EUCLEIA (7th FP): Assessments of the extent to which weather-related risks have changed due to human influences on climate
- Flood Aware (INTERREG): raising flood risk awareness with citizens and businesses and making them more resilient
- THESEUS (7th FP): Innovative coastal technologies for safer European coasts in a changing climate
- BLAST (INTERREG): Bringing land and sea together
- IMCORE (INTERREG): Innovative management for Europe’s changing coastal resource
- SUSCOD (INTERREG): Sustainable coastal development in practice
- TIDE (INTERREG): Tidal river development (estuaries)
- Climate for culture (7th FP): Damage risk assessment, economic impact and mitigation strategies for sustainable preservation of cultural heritage in times of climate change
- STORM (H2020): Safeguarding cultural heritage through technical and organisational resources management
Droughts and water scarcity
- Flow-Aid (6th FP): Farm level optimal water management: assistant for irrigation under deficit
- DROP (INTERREG IVB): Benefits of governance in drought adaptation - preparedness and resilience of Northwest European Regions
- FloodProBE (7th FP): Technologies for the cost-effective flood protection of the built environment
- FLOODsite (6th FP): Integrated flood risk analysis and management methodologies
Fresh water resources
- ACQWA (7th FP): Assessing climate impacts on the quantity and quality of water
- REFRESH (7th FP): Adaptive strategies to mitigate the impacts of climate change on European freshwater ecosystems
- WATCH (2007-2011, 6th FP): Water and global change
- SAWA (INTERREG): Strategic alliance for integrated water management actions (incl. climate change)
- ATOPICA (7th FP): Atopic diseases in changing climate change, land use and air quality
- HEAT-SHIELD (Horizon 2020): Adresses the negative impact of increased workplace heat stress on the health and productivity of 5 strategic European industries: manufacturing, construction, transportation, tourism and agriculture
Insurance and Business
Mitigation / adaptation options and costs
- ClimateCost (7th FP): the full costs of climate change
- ClimateWater (7th FP): study European and international adaptation measures and strategies related to climate change impacts and how these are taken into account in water policies
- PESETA (2007, JRC): Projection of economic impacts of climate change in sectors of the European Union based on bottom-up analysis
- CPA: Climate Proof Areas (INTERREG): regional adaptation strategies
Security and Crisis management
- UrbanFlood (7th FP): The use of sensors within flood embankments to support an online early warning system, real time emergency management and routine asset management
- CLICO (7th FP): Climate change, hydro-conflicts and human security
- Enhance (7th FP): Enhancing risk management partnerships for catastrophic natural disasters in Europe
Transport, Infrastructure and Building
- EWENT (7th FP): Assessment of the impacts and consequences of extreme weather events on EU transport system
- ECCONET (7th FP): Assessment of the effect of climate change on the transport network, taking the inland waterway network as a case-study.
- WEATHER (7th FP): Analyses of the economic costs of climate change on transport systems in Europe and exploration of ways for reducing them in the context of sustainable policy design.
- ToPDad (7th FP): Developing tools to help Europe adapt to and avoid the costly consequences of climate change.
- PREPARED (7th FP): Early warning systems, short- and long-term response strategies for urban areas pertaining to climate change adaptation
- SWITCH (6th FP): sustainable urban water management in the ‘City of the Future’
- MARE (INTERREG): Managing Adaptive Responses to changing flood risk in the North Sea Region
- FloodResilienCity (INTERREG): Improved integration of increased urban development and flood risks in major cities
- Future Cities (INTERREG): Urban Networks to Face Climate Change
- SICadapt (INTERREG): Adaptation to the spatial impacts of climate change
- UrbanFlood (7th FP): Sensors within flood embankments to support an online early warning system, real time emergency management and routine asset management
- Raingain (INTERREG): Aimed at improving the prediction of pluvial floods in cities