National plans/strategies for Switzerland
Switzerland’s Sixth National Communication under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) (2014). Download.
Reports/papers that present a sound overview for Switzerland
- OcCC/ProClim- (2007). Climate change and Switzerland 2050. Expected impacts on environment, society and economy. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on important Swiss topics
- Agriculture and Forestry: Fuhrer et al. (2006). Climate risks and their impact on agriculture and forests in Switzerland. Download.
- Avalanches and Landslides: Gruber et al. (2004). Permafrost thaw and destabilization of Alpine rock walls in the hot summer of 2003. Download.
- River flood risk: Federal Department for the Environment, Energy, Transport and Communications DETEC (2008). The Floods of 2005 in Switzerland. Synthesis Report on the Event Analysis. Download.
- Tourism: Agrawala (2007). Climate Change in the European Alps. Adapting winter tourism and natural hazards management.
Reports/papers that present a sound overview for Europe
- Eisenreich (2005). Climate change and the European water dimension. A report to the European water directors.
- European Environment Agency (2005). Vulnerability and adaptation to climate change in Europe. Download.
- European Environment Agency, JRC and WHO (2008). Impact of Europe’s changing climate – 2008 indicator-based assessment. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on specific topics, relevant for all of Europe
- Agriculture: Rounsevell et al. (2005). Future scenarios of European agricultural land use II. Projecting changes in cropland and grassland. Download.
- Agriculture: Fischer et al. (2005). Socio-economic and climate change impacts on agriculture: an integrated assessment, 1990–2080. Download.
- Biodiversity: Thuiller et al. (2005). Climate change threats to plant diversity in Europe. Download.
- Coastal erosion: Salman et al. (2004). Living with coastal erosion in Europe: sediment and space for sustainability. Download.
- Droughts: Blenkinsop and Fowler (2007). Changes in European drought characteristics projected by the PRUDENCE regional climate models. Download.
- Droughts: European Environment Agency (2009). Water resources across Europe – confronting water scarcity and drought. Download.
- Forestry: Seppälä et al. (2009). Adaptation of forests and people to climate change. A global assessment report. Download.
- Health: Kosatsky (2005). The 2003 European heat waves. Download.
- Health: WHO (2008). Protecting health in Europe from climate change. Download.
- Insurance and Business: Mills et al. (2005). Availability and affordability of insurance under climate change. A growing challenge for the U.S. Download.
- Security and Crisis management: German Advisory Council on Global Change (2007). World in transition: Climate change as a security risk. Summary for policy-makers. Download.
- Storms: Gardiner et al. (2010). Destructive storms in European forests: Past and forthcoming impacts. Download.
- Storms: Pinto et al. (2007). Changing European storm loss potentials under modified climate conditions according to ensemble simulations of the ECHAM5/MPI-OM1 GCM. Download.
- Tourism: Deutsche Bank Research (2008). Climate change and tourism: Where will the journey lead? Download.
National adaptation strategies
Database on disasters worldwide
- The international disaster database EM-DAT
- Information on disaster risk reduction: preventionweb.net
- Global Risk Data Platform PREVIEW: preview.grid.unep.ch
- Dartmouth Flood Observatory
Weblogs in English
- Glacier changes in Central Europe: facts and figures
- The Red Cross / Red Crescent Climate Centre: bridging climate change and disaster risk reduction
- The website of the European Environment Agency
- Expertise centre for biodiversity and sustainable development
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change IPCC
- The United Nation's work on climate change
- Climate change and its impact on tourism in the Alpine Space: ClimAlpTour
- World Bank Climate Change Knowledge Portal
- PIANC organisation for the global waterborne transport community: climate change home page
Weblogs in English and French and/or German
Weblogs in French and/or German
EU funded Research Projects
- ANIMALCHANGE (7th FP): An integration of mitigation and adaptation options for sustainable livestock production under climate change
Avalanches and landslides
Climate change scenarios
Climate change impacts and vulnerabilities
Droughts and water scarcity
- DROUGHT-R&SPI: improving the interface between science and policy in the drought sector, improving knowledge on drought drivers and vulnerability assessments and directly contributing to the development of drought management plans in Europe
Fresh water resources
- ACQWA (7th FP): Assessing climate impacts on the quantity and quality of water
- REFRESH (7th FP): Adaptive strategies to mitigate the impacts of climate change on European freshwater ecosystems
- WATCH (2007-2011, 6th FP): Water and global change
Mitigation / adaptation options and costs
- ClimateWater (7th FP): study European and international adaptation measures and strategies related to climate change impacts and how these are taken into account in water policies
- PESETA (2007, JRC): Projection of economic impacts of climate change in sectors of the European Union based on bottom-up analysis
- CECILIA (6th FP): Central and Eastern Europe climate change impact and vulnerability assessment
Security and Crisis management
- CLICO (7th FP): Climate change, hydro-conflicts and human security
- Enhance (7th FP): Enhancing risk management partnerships for catastrophic natural disasters in Europe
Transport, Infrastructure and Building
- EWENT (7th FP): Assessment of the impacts and consequences of extreme weather events on EU transport system
- ECCONET (7th FP): Assessment of the effect of climate change on the transport network, taking the inland waterway network as a case-study.
- WEATHER (7th FP): Analyses of the economic costs of climate change on transport systems in Europe and exploration of ways for reducing them in the context of sustainable policy design.
- ToPDad (7th FP): Developing tools to help Europe adapt to and avoid the costly consequences of climate change.