National plans/strategies for Austria
- Sixth National Communication of the Austrian Federal Government under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) (2014). Download.
Reports/papers that focus on important Austrian topics
- Avalanches and Landslides: Gruber et al. (2004). Permafrost thaw and destabilization of Alpine rock walls in the hot summer of 2003. Download.
- Tourism: Agrawala (2007). Climate Change in the European Alps. Adapting winter tourism and natural hazards management.
Reports/papers that present a sound overview for Europe
- Eisenreich (2005). Climate change and the European water dimension. A report to the European water directors.
- European Environment Agency (2005). Vulnerability and adaptation to climate change in Europe. Download.
- European Environment Agency, JRC and WHO (2008). Impact of Europe’s changing climate – 2008 indicator-based assessment. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on specific topics, relevant for all of Europe
- Agriculture: Rounsevell et al. (2005). Future scenarios of European agricultural land use II. Projecting changes in cropland and grassland. Download.
- Agriculture: Fischer et al. (2005). Socio-economic and climate change impacts on agriculture: an integrated assessment, 1990–2080. Download.
- Biodiversity: Thuiller et al. (2005). Climate change threats to plant diversity in Europe. Download.
- Coastal erosion: Salman et al. (2004). Living with coastal erosion in Europe: sediment and space for sustainability. Download.
- Droughts: Blenkinsop and Fowler (2007). Changes in European drought characteristics projected by the PRUDENCE regional climate models. Download.
- Droughts: European Environment Agency (2009). Water resources across Europe – confronting water scarcity and drought. Download.
- Forestry: Seppälä et al. (2009). Adaptation of forests and people to climate change. A global assessment report. Download.
- Health: Kosatsky (2005). The 2003 European heat waves. Download.
- Health: WHO (2008). Protecting health in Europe from climate change. Download.
- Insurance and Business: Mills et al. (2005). Availability and affordability of insurance under climate change. A growing challenge for the U.S. Download.
- Security and Crisis management: German Advisory Council on Global Change (2007). World in transition: Climate change as a security risk. Summary for policy-makers. Download.
- Storms: Gardiner et al. (2010). Destructive storms in European forests: Past and forthcoming impacts. Download.
- Storms: Pinto et al. (2007). Changing European storm loss potentials under modified climate conditions according to ensemble simulations of the ECHAM5/MPI-OM1 GCM. Download.
- Tourism: Deutsche Bank Research (2008). Climate change and tourism: Where will the journey lead? Download.
National adaptation strategies
Database on disasters worldwide
- The international disaster database EM-DAT
- Information on disaster risk reduction: preventionweb.net
- Global Risk Data Platform PREVIEW: preview.grid.unep.ch
- Dartmouth Flood Observatory
Weblogs in English
- Glacier changes in Central Europe: facts and figures
- The Red Cross / Red Crescent Climate Centre: bridging climate change and disaster risk reduction
- The website of the European Environment Agency
- Expertise centre for biodiversity and sustainable development
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change IPCC
- The United Nation's work on climate change
- World Bank Climate Change Knowledge Portal
- PIANC organisation for the global waterborne transport community: climate change home page
- International Commission for the Protection of the Danube River ICPDR
Weblogs in English and German
Weblogs in German
EU funded Research Projects
- ANIMALCHANGE (7th FP): An integration of mitigation and adaptation options for sustainable livestock production under climate change
Avalanches and landslides
Climate change scenarios
Climate change impacts and vulnerabilities
- MEDIATION (7th FP): Methodology for effective decision-making on impacts and adaptation
- RESPONSES (7th FP): EU policy action on climate change
- CLIMSAVE (7th FP): Web-based tool to assess climate change impacts and vulnerabilities for a range of sectors, including agriculture, forests, biodiversity, coasts, water resources and urban development
- Climate for culture (7th FP): Damage risk assessment, economic impact and mitigation strategies for sustainable preservation of cultural heritage in times of climate change
Droughts and water scarcety
- FLOODsite (6th FP): Integrated flood risk analysis and management methodologies
- DANUBE FLOODRISK (INTERREG): Stakeholder oriented flood risk assessment for the Danube floodplains
Fresh water resources
- ACQWA (7th FP): Assessing climate impacts on the quantity and quality of water
- REFRESH (7th FP): Adaptive strategies to mitigate the impacts of climate change on European freshwater ecosystems
- WATCH (2007-2011, 6th FP): Water and global change
- EWENT (7th FP): Extreme weather impacts on European networks of transport
- WEATHER (7th FP): The impacts of extreme weather events on economy and society in total and on European transport systems in particular
Insurance and Business
Mitigation / adaptation integrated policy
- AMICA: Adaptation and Mitigation: an Integrated Climate Policy Approach at the local and regional level (INTERREG)
Mitigation / adaptation options and costs
- ClimateCost (7th FP): the full costs of climate change
- ClimateWater (7th FP): study European and international adaptation measures and strategies related to climate change impacts and how these are taken into account in water policies
- PESETA (2007, JRC): Projection of economic impacts of climate change in sectors of the European Union based on bottom-up analysis
- CECILIA (6th FP): Central and Eastern Europe climate change impact and vulnerability assessment
Security and Crisis management
- Enhance (7th FP): Enhancing risk management partnerships for catastrophic natural disasters in Europe
Transport, Infrastructure and Building
- EWENT (7th FP): Assessment of the impacts and consequences of extreme weather events on EU transport system
- ECCONET (7th FP): Assessment of the effect of climate change on the transport network, taking the inland waterway network as a case-study.
- WEATHER (7th FP): Analyses of the economic costs of climate change on transport systems in Europe and exploration of ways for reducing them in the context of sustainable policy design.
- ToPDad (7th FP): Developing tools to help Europe adapt to and avoid the costly consequences of climate change.
- SUDPLAN (7th FP): Sustainable urban development planner for climate change adaptation
- PREPARED (7th FP): Early warning systems, short- and long-term response strategies for urban areas pertaining to climate change adaptation
- SWITCH (6th FP): sustainable urban water management in the ‘City of the Future’